Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Early Bird Gets the Preschool Spot

Yesterday I did the nuttiest thing I've done as a parent, to-date: I got up at 4am to line up for one of the 8 available spots at a popular, local preschool.  Yep, the alarm went off at 4:00, I threw on sweats, grabbed some coffee, and drove to the Y.  Amazingly, there were already a couple of people there when I arrived at 4:45! 

This is the kind of thing I used to roll my eyes about, and swear I'd never get caught up in when I was a parent.  To be clear, I didn't do it because I think going to this preschool program as a 2 year old will ensure my daughter has the pick of the Ivy League schools in the future.  She's an only child and just starting to interact with other kids, so I think the socialization will be good for her.  I also like the idea of her getting used to listening to other authority figures and to a more structured environment.  But I understand that preschool for 2 year olds is essentially organized play.

There are only a handful of programs for 2 year olds in our area, and the program at the Y is a favorite.  This is in part because the program has a good reputation, but also because current students get priority registration for the 3 year old program next year.  (I learned from some of the other parents lined up yesterday morning that there were even fewer spots available in the 3 year old program.)  Thus the insanity surrounding registration for the 2 year old program.

Anyway, after waiting outside for 15 minutes, signing in, and waiting for registration to begin 3.5 hours later, I got a spot for my daughter.  As a bonus, two of our friends got spots in the same class, which will be fun for both my daughter and me.  After all, the classes are only 2 hours, so I have a feeling I'll be spending some of them hanging out at a nearby coffee shop with other parents.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment