Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Giving back

One of the things I love about Barefoot Books is their commitment to community and giving back.  Ambassadors are encouraged to do fundraisers for schools and nonprofits in our communities.  Like many aspects of our Barefoot Books businesses, they're flexible and can take many forms - book fairs, cash-and-carry tables, online sales, etc.  These can be a great opportunity to introduce more people to Barefoot Books, while contributing to causes in our communities.

With this in mind, I've added a new feature to my Barefoot Books business: the nonprofit/cause of the month.  Starting this month, I'll designate a nonprofit/cause of the month, and donate 20% of that month's online sales to it.  The first recipient is Friends of Hannah Hughes.  Hannah Hughes is a local seven year old girl who's being treated for leukemia.  In the coming months she'll receive a bone marrow transplant from her younger sister, and her family will join her in Boston for several months during her treatment.  I don't know the Hughes family, but I can imagine the stress they must be feeling at this time.  There's a very well-organized effort to raise funds for them, and I'm happy to be a small part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment