Saturday, February 5, 2011

Take two

Prior to my daughter's arrival, I never bought or sold anything at a consignment store.  Truth be told, I was a little weirded out by the thought of wearing clothes that a stranger had previously owned and worn.  Soon after my daughter outgrew the clothes people gave us as shower and new baby gifts, though, I decided to give it a try.  And now that I know how quickly babies and young children outgrow their clothing, I have fully embraced consignment.  I've made purchases at the Katrina Trask Consignment Sale, the Albany Pass it On Sale, and the Kids' Exchange Consignment Sale, as well as at Trendy Tots, CuddleBugs, and Pixie's Closet.  Getting new or barely worn brand-name clothing at a deep discount has become a bit of an addiction for me.  Still, I had never really considered adult clothing consignment. 

Having had a baby 15 months ago, my body is different from the way it was pre-baby.  I wasn't exactly a hard-body to start out, and I actually weigh less now than I did when I got pregnant, but things just aren't the same.  As a result, I have a good number of items of clothing that no longer fit me the way they used to.  I tried to sell them at a garage sale a few months ago, but only a few things were purchased.  I've thought about putting them up up Ebay, but the photographing, describing, and listing required feels like a lot of work.  Then, while researching new outlets for my children's consignment-shopping addiction, I discovered that there are actually several consignment stores that sell women's clothing in our area.  After conducting online research and scoping out all of their locations, I decided to try selling some things at New 2 You Fine Consignment Boutique.  I called to schedule a drop-off appointment, did some laundry, and gathered the items I thought would sell.  Almost everything I brought was accepted; a few things were rejected because they were cold-weather clothing, which the stores all seem to be moving out these days.  (Who can even think about capris and tank tops with yet another 2-4 inches of snow forecast for tonight??)  I have no idea how many things will sell, nor how much they'll go for, but I'm really excited to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment